Tuesday, July 1, 2014

10 reasons to grow your little herb garden!


(Lavender, rosemary and parsley on my balcony)


I've always been fascinated by herb gardens. I guess it comes from living in a small apartment and not having a garden where to grow fresh products. If you need to be convinced here you have 10 awesome reasons why you should start an herb garden right now!


10 REASONS TO START GROWING AN HERB GARDEN

  1.  To have fresh herbs all year long. It doesn't need to be Spring or Summer to grow them, you can place the plants in pots inside in winter. Imagine cooking spaghetti sauce or pesto with your own herbs, whenever you want!

  2. You can spice up your meals and experiment as much as you want. Baked potatoes can taste different every day of the week if you want.

  3. Because it's a green, sustainable solution. 

  4. They'll save you money. Buying fresh herbs every time you need them is no cheap in a long term speaking. If you have them available at home it will save you money. And you'll know for sure that they're always available for you.

  5. It's very relaxing to have herbs in the house: they smell wonderful, and taking care of them can be a very soothening pastime.

  6. You can always share them! Because not much of them are needed when cooking, you'll always have left herbs to share with your family and friends.

  7. Because depending on the herbs you grow, you can use them for other purposes than just cooking: you can dry lavender to put them in little bags in the for the drawers to have your towels smell fresh all the time

  8. Having fresh herbs with your meals is healthy for you. They are rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, and they can even help you treat illness.

  9. They look pretty. Which is not the main reason why we might want an herb garden, but it's still a bonus to have one.

  10. Just because!


7 comments:

  1. Which herbs are easiest to grow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know where you're planning on growing them, but if it's outside basil is one that works really well for me and is pretty easy to maintain, since it doesn't need much care and can be kept both inside and outside. Rosemary is pretty easy as well if there's full sunshine. Rosemary works well with sunshine too, both inside and outside the house. Lavender is easy as well, but better keep it outside than inside.

      Delete
  2. I love fresh herbs but never grew my own garden. My aunt has a small greenhouse in her garden and we've tried in there several times but they always die, I think it's simply too hot maybe. But another aunt grows them all over her garden and has huge plants by now so I'm going to try outside at home now. I already got a pot of basil but going to stop by the garden center this week for some oregano, chives, rosemary, thyme... Are you growing thyme as well? I absolutely love it in any form but fresh is the best. Did you do anything special or just planted them in the soil?

    Thanks for the inspiration! Can't wait to get started :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm glad you'll try it!

      I have thyme planted in a pot at the balcony as well, I find it very easy to grow, and I didn't really do anything. Sometimes I pour some coffee residues or the rests of a tea bag (what you'd throw after making coffee or tea) on the earth because it gives some natural nutrients to the earth, but that's about it.

      Delete
    2. I got it going! I'm so excited! I did buy the plants that are already ready though, seeds would take too long and I want instant gratification with the herbs :D Also, it would be too late to plant them anyway I think?

      I just poured some coffee grounds as well because last night it was full of slugs, eeww, and apparently that should help people say and as you say it's good for the soil as well. It's been rainy and subsequently very humid here so we're having a lot of snails and slugs in general but apparently they really like plants, I checked during the night and there were like 6 or 7 in the plants and several more crawling around. I obviously don't want to use any poisonous stuff and I don't want to pick them out by hand *shudders* so I'm trying to find something that will just keep them away. I read several things online but some things sound pretty cruel and I'm also not looking forward to collecting dead slugs either. Coffee grounds supposedly gives them heart attacks which doesn't really sound like an ideal solution either but I'm hoping they sense it and stay away because of that. If you have any tips I'm happy to try :)

      Delete
    3. they say that a cheap and pretty effective solution to keep snails and slugs out of your plants without killing them is pouring sand (thin sand like beach sand or a similar one) on top of the soil, because it will create a rough barrier that slugs can’t tolerate sliding over. You just have to create a barrier around the plant, without mixing it with the soil tho or it can be dangerous for the plant. It won't kill them but will keep them away.

      Delete
    4. Yeah I read that as well and was thinking of trying it (just need to get some sand somewhere) but I was also afraid it might hurt the plants. I read a similar thing with crushed egg shells because that would cut up their stomachs so badly they'd die but then I'd have to deal with the dead ones and I don't want to pick up any, alive or dead. Sand seems a bit of a less rough solution.

      Thanks! I'll see what the coffee does during the weekend and then I'll get some sand next week. And hopefully the weather will get more dry and there won't be so much.

      Delete