Saturday, April 12, 2014

Book Review: Shatter Me

Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) 
Author:
Genre: YA Paranormal Dystopia
Publication: 2011
Rating: 4 / 5 stars

The Cover

While the eye is maybe a bit weird and creepy I kinda like it. First of all it's way better than the other cover which was a random girl in a white prom dress. And secondly I like the colors, font and that it's different from other books. I'll take a creepy eye with trees and a waterfall over a lot of the standard covers any day. I like that for the whole series they used the eye in different variations and color schemes.

The Story

Juliette hasn't touched anybody in 264 days.

Her touch is fatal and the last time she touched somebody this person died so she was charged with murder and locked up by The Reestablishment. But they don't really care much more than that because as long as she is locked up she can't hurt anybody and there are a lot more problems in this world that need their attention: diseases, lack of food, no birds and a world that is breaking down.

However, people are talking about war and now The Reestablishment has changed their mind. Maybe they can use Juliette as a weapon instead of locking her up and forgetting about her. Now she has to make a choice: fight with them or fight against them.

My Thoughts

It took me a bit to get into this book but once I did, I really liked it and especially now that I have read the whole series I can really appreciate it. Juliette's journey throughout the series is really great and interesting to read and I love how Mafi's writing reflects this journey. At the beginning the writing is rather simple with short sentences, lots of repetitions and a stream of conscious style. Through the writing it becomes clear that Juliette is going insane. Throughout the story, the writing changes as Juliette changes which I found an interesting development and well done. From what I read, lots of readers are put of by the writing in the first book so if you are, hang in there because the eventual journey is worth it.

I'm usually not a fan of paranormal themes in books but I really enjoyed it in this one, obviously Juliette's power is not a natural ability and as it turns out there are more people in this world that have paranormal powers, I really enjoyed finding out about all the different kinds of powers and what these people can do and how they can work together. It's a bit like X-Men in that sense so if you like that, you'll have an idea of what is a big part of this series, especially the second book in the series. Of course there has to be a love triangle in the series or it wouldn't be a young adult dystopian. I didn't particularly care for it but I did like that the conclusion of this love triangle in the third book is bit unexpected or maybe not really who I was rooting for and felt was the right one for Juliette.

While Juliette can be a bit of a frustrating character from time to time, it was very interesting to get into her head and I enjoyed her story and her development throughout the series. Characters that stood out a lot were the secondary characters and  especially Kenji was totally awesome. A great friend to Juliette, he brings some comedic relief to the series which was a nice distraction from the bleak and dangerous world the series is set in. What I missed about this dystopian world was more world building, we simply have to assume things are as they are and I would have gladly had some more back story.

If you generally like young adult dystopias I can really recommend this one, even though it's a bit romance heavy at times but I've gotten used to this part of these novels. It's a fun journey to partake and as I said before I loved the development of the writing and the characters. There are some shocking twists involved in the story as well and most of the time the books will keep you on the edge of your seat. The whole series is out now so if you decide to read them you can read everything all at once and as I got to this series while only the third book wasn't out yet, I can assure you that they're addictive! Make sure to check out the two novellas as well to get an insight into the minds of the two guys in the love triangle. They're not as good as the actual books but it is kinda nice to get a look in their heads as well.

4 comments:

  1. This one sounds really interesting! Thanks for another great recommendation :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Thanks for having me :)

      Delete
  2. Good review! I just read these recently and you captured them perfectly. I must say that this was one of the few series I've read recently where the writer actually convinced me to be happy with the love triangle outcome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, sorry for my super late reply...didn't see this before. But thanks for commenting and liking my review :) And always nice to hear from people who liked books I liked as well.

      Delete