Saturday, January 4, 2014

Book Review: The Hundred

Title: The 100 (The Hundred #1)                                           
Author: Kas Morgan
Genre: YA Science-fiction/Dystopia
Publication: 2013
Rating: 2 / 5 stars

The Cover

I quite like this cover, the big font, the pictures that are only showing little parts. It works! Especially together with the contrast of the white background and the dark pictures. I also like how the cover doesn't only show just one thing but there are several things going on with all the different images.

The Story

In the future, after Earth was destroyed, people are living in space ships that basically function like cities. Nobody knows how the situation on Earth actually is, they only know that the air is supposedly toxic and has been abandoned since a long time. However, the population keeps growing, despite the government's efforts to keep it under control. So they decide that it's time to get back their old homeland before it might be gone completely.

The government decides to send 100 young criminals to earth on a test mission and after their ship crashes on the way to Earth, the teenagers have to make do with what they have on this to them strange new planet they had only seen from space and read about in books.

My Thoughts

I read this because of the upcoming TV show based on this book and the premise seemed really interesting and different from anything else I have read. Unfortunately, the way the book is set up didn't work for me. There are several narrators and every chapter is narrated by another character (four in total) and it just doesn't really work well because you don't get to know the characters as much as you would like to. We get to know the characters a bit better through flashbacks but there really isn't much character development and because of all the flashbacks there is not really a lot of stuff moving the story forward.

Even though this book was not a huge success for me, I will still read the second book in the series because even though I didn't get attached to the people, I want to see where the story goes and how the big cliffhanger at the end of the book will be handled. And who knows, maybe the second installment will be much better once the action really gets going because so far, this first book feels more like a long introduction to a larger story. Not only on earth but also back in space where things get more complicated as well.

It's a quick read and if you feel like you won't be bothered by the issues I had with the book, I'd definitely say go for it. The book is well written and the story does move forward in the sense that the next narrator picks up where the last one left of in most cases (except for the one character who is still on the space ship), there is just not a whole lot happening besides some silly thing that I feel don't really matter so much for the eventual big story.


4 comments:

  1. I didn't know they were going to do a TV show based on it! Now I'm curious. I'm not a huge fan of plots that take place on space, but still the plot sounds intriguing, and if it's well written, then that's always a plus! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a midseason show, I think it starts in March but I saw January somewhere as well... And it stars Desmond from Lost! The show seems cooler than the book I think, I'm quite curious about it. Oh, and the book is not completely set in space, the now part is on earth but the flashbacks are in space obviously. I'm usually not a huge fan of that either (or rather I never read them because it just doesn't seem appealing) but I didn't mind that with this one, it isn't really "spacey" as you might imagine it.

      You're welcome, my pleasure!

      Delete
  2. I'm usually not a huge fan of space opera when it comes to sci fi, but the rest of the plot sounds interesting, so maybe i'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither, it just never seems very appealing to me, but with this books I didn't mind it so much because the emphasis wasn't really on being in space and the parts set on the ship don't really feel like. Hope you'll enjoy it if you read it!

      Delete