Saturday, December 21, 2013

Book Review: The Rules for Disappearing

Title: The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing #1)  
Author: Ashley Elston
Genre: YA Contemporary Mystery
Publication: 2013
Rating: 3 / 5 stars

The Cover

It's not necessarily a bad cover, actually it does look kinda fun and intriguing and at least different than a lot of the standard young adult covers. However it doesn't have a whole lot to do with the story. There's no actual running involved, and definitely not barefoot. As I said though, the cover looks okay and fun and I like the fonts and colors used.

The Story

Meg has just moved to a small town in Lousiana but before that she was Olivia in Kentucky, Isabelle in Missouri, Madeline in Ohio and some others in other places. But she's really called Anna. Annd and her family are part of the Witness Protection program and one little mistakes has the suits pick them up and transplant them in some other time. This time, she wants this identity to be her last though.

The whole time they have been in this situation she has tried to find out why they are in this situation and what her father did. She keeps asking her parents and eventually even asks one of the suits but nobody tells her anything and Anna is fed up with all of it so she figures out a plan of our own to find out the truth. Even if she doesn't want to, she does start to make friends and she even falls in love with Ethan and keeping her distance gets harder and harder. She decides that she wants to stay in this place and free her family so she embarks on a journey to do just that.

My Thoughts

I came across this book when checking out debuts for 2013 because I took part in a debut author challenge. It's not something I would usually read but the cover and description looked like fun so I put it on my list of books I planned to read. In the end it did turn out like a good surprise but I think it's something younger readers will enjoy more. Generally, I really like reading about the struggles with being in this kind of program, something that appealed to me more than the mystery but that's because I'm not a huge fan of mysteries I guess. Once the mystery of what had happened started to unfold though, it intrigued me a bit more and the fact that a road trip was involved only made it better.

The characters are a bit bland though and I never really warmed up to Meg (or Anna) and Ethan or the other characters in the book. Most people aren't that well developed and I didn't really connect to the main character and felt like she was rather clueless at times. However, the pacing of the story makes up for all of that and the unraveling of what actually happened to their family was done in an interesting way, once all of that got going, I had a hard time putting it down. There is a plot development towards the end that opens the door for a sequel, and while it feels like it has been done that way only to be able to do that sequel, I wasn't particularly bothered by it; I'll happily revisit this family again.

If you're into mystery and like young adult books with a dash of romance, I can definitely recommend this one. It's an easy and captivating read that will pull you in while reading. Though I didn't find it an awesome book, it wasn't a bad book either and it did definitely keep me entertained during the time I read it.


2 comments:

  1. Sounds fun and easy to read! Might give it a try. Thanks for the review, and happy holidays! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly what is! I can imagine it will be something actual young adults will give a higher rating but it was a fun ride :) You're welcome, thanks for having me! Happy holidays to you too <3

      Delete