Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Look behind your back: A Halloween countdown! - Guest post from Ayla (Eyelah)



When I was planning how the blog would celebrate Halloween, I realized that a huge part of the fun of Halloween is getting ready for it. So I thought about a countdown of some kind. And then I wanted it to be a participative thing, something that other bloggers could be a part of. So I thought about guest posts. And because something fun about Halloween are scary stories, I asked some bloggers if they wanted to tell a real scary story that happened to them. And that's how this initiative was born! During the next four weeks (until Halloween) every Tuesday you'll find in the blog a scary story told by a blogger, some experience that at some point scared them for some reason. I really hope you'll enjoy it!

This week, and to start, is the turn of Ayla from Eyelah (you probably know her from her lovely Etsy shop where she sells all kind of cute accessories handmade by her). Thanks so much to her for this awesome story, and for taking the time to share it with all of us :)





I don't fear things that are 'not real' as I put them. If you've seen a ghost then it's real to you but I have yet to have that experience so things in that nature are 'not real' to me. Things that frighten me are real things such as serial killers, car accidents, falling off of a cliff.. etc. So this experience that happened to my best friend and I was a very real and later comical situation. 

It was the day we were leaving Paris in 2011. My best friend had a flight that left at 7:00 in the morning and even though my flight wasn't leaving until 1:00pm it made sense that we would leave our hotel together and get to the airport together. We took the train into Paris from London so we had no clue how to get to the airport nor how long it would take. I would like to also add that it was the day after Bastille Day so we were actually up until midnight watching fireworks near the Effiel Tower. 

We woke up around 4am to get ready and leave our hotel. We didn't shower or anything. We basically brushed our teeth quickly, gathered our things, and checked out of the hotel. We handed our key to the attendant and he didn't say anything about why we were leaving early or anything.. basically 'Merci, aevoir.' It was still very dark outside but we had walked around a lot in the area so we were comfortable with getting to the subway with no problems. 

The streets are dead silent and there are no cars in sight. We were really the only ones on the dimly lit street and we were females. But, I didn't let that bother me. We had somewhere to be so lets get moving to the subway station. We make it to the subway station and it was closed! We didn't see a taxi not to mention we were both on our last 20 euro of our trip so we really had absolutely no money to get to the airport besides using the subway. There wasn't a sign around that said what time it opened so like the tourist we were we looked into our tour guides and saw that the subway didn't open until 5:30am. It was 4:30 in the morning. That means we had to wait an HOUR before we can get into the subway. My best friend's flight was at 7am. She still had to check her bag and go through security. What were we going to do? 

So, we just waited. Right near the train station was a small park/garden so we just decided we'll sit there until it opens. There was one street lamp near us and then the rest of the world was dark. Everything was going to be fine right? We'll just wait until it opens and then be good. 

Shortly after we sat down on a bench we started hearing noises. We heard walking and running and we saw this young guy probably a teenager run through the park. Then we saw another run through the park. Then we saw another.. and then we saw them run through the streets. They were bumping into cars and then it stopped. It stopped for about 10minutes and it started up again. Basically they were running up and down the streets. They were yelling or calling out to each other. It was really hard to tell if they were speaking French or French slang. The worse part was you didn't know where they were coming from. It was like they were hiding in between cars and buildings and just running out. 

After this shenanigans was going on for about a half hour I concluded they were going to rub us. It was absolutely nerve-wreaking. We had EVERYTHING with us. We had our clothes, our cameras, our passports, the little money that we had. Everything we owned was right there. 

So like the nut that I was.. I slipped my passport into my pants near my belt-buckle underneath my shirt and then I took the memory card out of my camera. I figured they can have everything else except my passport and my pictures. (This was my first time in Paris.. I wasn't losing those memories) 


My best friend was beside me reading a book and I pretty much stayed alert the entire time these guys were running up and down the street making noise. It pretty much went on for roughly an hour and probably the longest hour I have ever felt. 

The train station opened and we managed to get to the airport in enough time. When we were on the trains towards the airport my best friend and I both said that was probably one of the scariest moments in our lives. Even though we certainly didn't act scared in the moment when we were on the train with a bunch of other people, we were visibly relieved. 

The lesson learned in all of this was to make sure you know what time the public transportation opens and closes. We definitely remembered this when we were in Europe in August.

- Ayla


Visit Ayla on:


4 comments:

  1. What a scary experience!
    Ever since living in Europe I avoid train stations and bus terminals at night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How scary! I'm glad nothing bad happened to you and your friend in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's a good lesson learned. I think they were doing this on purpose, because you were there, waiting! {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's totally freaky. I agree with Deb, they were probably just trying to mess with some foreigners because their silly teenage brains thought it would be fun.

    ReplyDelete