Saturday, October 19, 2013

Book Review: Mila 2.0

Title: Mila 2.0 (Mila 2.0 #1)                                                               
Author: Debra Driza
Genre: YA Science Fiction / Dystopia
Publication: 2013
Rating: 4 / 5

The Cover

When I first saw this cover, I was immediately attracted by it and wanted to read the book. Yes, it just another girl on another cover again but for some reason it intrigued me. I like how it is quite simple and the blueish tones are nice to look at. Loved the big and simple font and the color of her eyes returning in the author's title.

The Story

Mila is just a regular girl who just moved to Minnesota with her mother. Her dad died in a fire at their old home but Mila doesn't really remember much of what happened. She finding her way at the new local high school and makes a friend, Kaylee, and a new boy called Hunter shows up and Mila's friendship with Kaylee finishes quickly because of him because they both like him. You'd think you were reading a summary of just another young adult romance novel... But Mila is in fact Mila an Android (hence the 2.0 of the title) and she's not to supposed anything about what she really is or where she comes from. But weird flashes keep appearing in her mind and a group of men show up at her doorstep to destroy her so Mila runs away to escape from whomever it is that wants to capture her.

My Toughts

I really enjoyed this book, and I had never read anything like it before. It is a fun and exciting ride and hard to put away once the action starts. The first half of the book is a bit slow but once the whole being on the run part of the story gets going, things get more exciting and the book ends up being pretty action packed with some great fight scenes. Another thing that makes the book so much fun to read is that Mila feels so real, and her struggle with her non-human parts is interesting to read. She is put through some tests and this struggle really comes forward during those, keeping you on the edge of your seat. What I liked as well is that the setting seemed to be really like our present day, while it's fun to read books that are set in a completely different world, a science fiction book in a setting like we know it, is fun as well I think because things seem even more real.

Something I didn't enjoy so much was the romantic storyline, which I'm often not a fan of when reading science fiction or dystopia. It often feels like it's put in to draw in more readers and it to me it seems to be case here as well. The problem might be that Mila hasn't really gotten to know Hunter much, they only met a couple of times before she ran away and the fact that she keeps thinking about him as if she lost a great love just seems a bit weird. Besides the romance all the characters that are introduced during the course of the book aren't really interesting, which would usually bother me more but because I really liked the story it's not the worst thing. Here's to hoping they'll be fleshed out more in books 2 and 3.

All in all, this book is probably not very different from other young adult dystopian stories featuring a female heroine but still it's a great read if you like these kinds of books and it's well-written and paced (except maybe for the first half of the book but the second half makes up for that completely. It's an interesting journey to take with Mila because she doesn't know anymore about herself than we do and I'm definitely looking forward to the next installment in this series.



2 comments:

  1. Even if I'm usually nit into SCI-FI books, this is one that I think I might like! Thanks for another great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm usually not a fan of sci-fi books either, dystopian yes, but not real sci-fi so I'm sure you might like this as well :) You're welcome and thanks for the comment!

      Delete