Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Interview to Ayla, from Eyelah




I will never get tired of talking about Ayla's work in my blog! Some days ago, I showed you guys the awesome accessories she's creating, and today I'm excited to bring to you an interview that she happily agreed to answer (thanks Ayla!). I think her answers reflect perfectly all the love she puts in her creations, and her great personality. I hope you'll enjoy reading it :)


1. Where does the name of your store (Eyelah) come from?
The name Eyelah comes from my actual name Ayla. It is pronounced as Eye-lah. I got the idea from my mother because she mentioned that was on my birth announcement. I also liked it because It definitely reflected me without it being so obviously my name.

2. What inspires your creations?
I get inspired by lots things. I get inspired by functionality, and creating something that could be used daily. I like my pouches because you can really use it everyday. One the first ones I created I use as my wallet everyday and it's just perfect. Whenever I think of designs I'm always thinking about colors that could be a statement but you wouldn't mind working into a lot of outfits. 

3. Since when you've been creating accessories?
I started creating jewelry years ago but when I got my sewing machine back in 2010 I started to work on handbags. I became obsessed with making handbags. Handbags were the easiest things to make so I started with them first. I tried to sew clothing but they always came out awful so I just stuck with  handbags. I really like handbags and pouches so I'm always try to improve my style. 

4. Why do you think people should buy handmade?
I feel people should buy handmade because you are getting a more unique item. Whatever you purchase whether it be jewelry, clothing, shoes, handbags, etc. You most likely won't find another person in your area that has the same item and its special. Plus you also know where the money is going. The money is support the person that is making the item for you. The money isn't going to top executives and slow trickles down to the salesperson. It's a more direct exchange than purchasing from a large retailer. 

5. How did you discover Etsy?
A friend told me about Etsy when she heard I was making jewelry. I started my first shop under AAlexandra but then I closed it down when I decided to focus more on handbags and other accessories. I do plan on adding jewelry but I'm not sure how I want to combine the shops. 

6. Why do you like Spring?
I currently live in Charlottesville, VA and they have pretty lame winters. I come from the northern part of the US where we often have beautiful snow and it's a pretty winter. In Charlottesville, it's just cold and if it does snow it's like an inch and then it melts away the next day. I'm excited for Spring because Charlottesville is really pretty in the Spring. The trees are blooming and it smells nice outside. It's often warm and sunny. I also like to go out to cafes in the Spring or do my work on my balcony where I can enjoy fresh air while sewing or blogging.




Remember that Eyelah is offering a 15% discount on all the items of her shop, specially for La Caseta de Paper readers! Pick the item you like, and use the code "LaCaseta15" to get the discount! 


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the feature!! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ayla's work! I have one of her clutches and just adore it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely feature! I'd have a hard time choosing one of the clutches you featured on Wednesday, but I think I'd have to go with the last two -- they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete