Lentils and Rice with Tomato Sauce
Recipe for 4 persons
We're going to need:
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of chopped onion
1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic
1 cup of lentils
1 cup of rice (I did it with round-grain rice, but with long rice works perfectly)
3 cups of water (or more if needed)
10 ounces of tomato sauce
1 tbsp of curry powder (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. When the oil is warm add the onion, and in a medium low temperature wait til the onion is softened (taking care that it doesn't get brown). It takes around 2 minutes.
- Add water, and pour inside the lentils (remember to rinse them first).
- Cover the pan, and when the water boils, reduce the temperature of the fire. Then let it cook for 10 more minutes in low temperature, and add the tomato juice.
- Mix the tomato with the lentils, and add the rice and the garlic. If you want to put curry in the mix this is the moment to stir it in too.
- Cover the pan again, and let everything cook during 15 or 20 minutes. Usually I wait til the lentils are cooked but haven't softened too much. Take care that the mixture doesn't get too dry (add water if necessary).
- Remove from the heat and serve.
If you posted a recipe in your blog that you want to share, feel free to link us to it using the Link Party below. I'd love to learn new recipes!